A large number of our shipping customers speak negatively about trading companies. I wanted to create this article to introduce people to the hidden aspects of a trading company that most guides won’t tell you.
A lot of the guides I read focus entirely on getting your products for the lowest price possible. But we say otherwise.
Any DIY importer looking to turn pro needs to streamline their sourcing process. And a great way to do this is to look at trading companies as much as manufacturers.
So, I am going to be super biased here and list a bunch of reasons why trading companies are going to be better for you and your streamlined importing process.
Our Seven Reasons
- Trading companies understand customer service more so than factories. Their focus is entirely on the customer so it is often easier to communicate with them.
- They build the relationship so you don’t have to. A trading company will often work very closely with multiple factories and have very good relationships. They pass these relationships down to you in an effort to increase their worth to their customers.
- They are willing to go the extra mile when the factory won’t. If you want multiple items sourced for one product, they can help. If you need a special package or special labeling, a trading company can help.
- Trading companies often use factories that are not big enough to have their own international sales team or export license. This means they are working with factories that have lower prices than some easy-to-find competitors online.
- Trading companies have little overhead, so they can offer lower prices. Their markup is sometimes as little as 0.5%. Rent is cheap in China and trading companies don’t need to be huge. A team of four to ten workers at a trading company can have a much lower overhead than a factory of 100 employees or more.
- Trading companies are great for small-quantity buyers. They often have great relationships with their factories or have product stock on hand, able to offer lower order quantities for the small-sized importer.
- They offer more products and are often happy to send you additional product samples for free. I always tell my clients to request their trading company send them three of their best-selling product samples in every shipment. This is a great way to source more products and do so quickly and efficiently.
Thinking Twice about Trading Companies
So before you run away from the idea that a trading company is just another middleman stealing pennies from your profits, understand the massive benefits they can bring. It isn’t uncommon for serious importers to only use trading companies because of how much more enjoyable they are to work with.
Want to see for yourself? Reach out to our friends at Jing Sourcing, and request trading companies be added to your list of potential suppliers.