Table of Contents
What is a "Man-Day"?
The “man-day” is the standard measurement unit used to calculate the workload an inspector can complete in one day. This measurement is called a “man-day” and allows buyers and those in the QC industry to calculate the labor and costs it takes for an inspection agent to conduct an inspection of your goods in your supplier’s factory.
What does as a Man-Day consist of?
- One man-day is one day of work for 1 Quality Control staff
- Two man-days can include:
- two days work for 1 Quality Control staff,
- or one day of work with two Quality Control staff members.
How many units can be inspected in a man-day?
The best way to determine the number of units to check per man-day is through the use of the AQL standards.
The ‘AQL’ stands for ‘Acceptance Quality Limit’ and is the international quality standard for product inspections. It helps inspectors determine the inspection sampling size of a production lot for inspection. Inspectors use the AQL standard to outline their workday based on the sample size selected for inspection.
Other things that can influence cost of a man-day
Despite sounding fairly straight forward, calculating a man-day can be complex at times as calculations will vary on other factors. This can include the complexity of the product, number of units inspected, accessibility of the factory, travel time, report writing, photography etc.
- Keep in mind, Man-day calculations may also be influenced by the following factors:
- Complexity of the product
- Hours spent in the factory (these are usually counted as full man-days)
- May also be influenced by the number of things to check for
- Some QC companies may count man-days separately for each inspector
- Hours spent traveling to and from the factory (sometimes counted as half-days)
When arranging insepction services, make sure to address what exactly will account for the costs. Some 3rd party inspection agencies can be flexible and speed up your inspection but these will usually include 2 QC inspectors, but for an additional man-day cost.
How Guided Imports Can Help
Whether you’re a seasoned importer or new to the game, the team at Guided Imports is here to help. We recommend taking this opportunity to learn more about our Quality Inspection Services in China, starting at just $199 per man-day.
Our most popular services include:
- China Pre-Production Inspection
- China First Article Inspection
- China In-Process Inspection
- China Final Inspection
- China Pre-Shipment Inspection
- China Container Loading Check
Alternatively, you can or contact us here with any QC questions you may have.